The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Administrative Office Professional Program is an academic Associate in Science degree program for students seeking employment in the administrative assistant fields. The curriculum integrates knowledge of office procedures based on actual job responsibilities.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
The Administrative Office Professional major prepares the student to be a member of an organization’s business team. This program encompasses the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, problem-solving, and systems development. A unique aspect of the program is the internship, which provides the student an opportunity to use their acquired skills in an office environment and gain experience in their profession before completing the program. Opportunities are available in private industry, non-profit organizations, and government offices. With experience and/or additional education, administrative office professionals may be promoted to management positions.
- Effectively communicate on the telephone, in written form, or in person with diverse groups of people;
- apply effective communication and collaborative skills when working in teams;
- use storage and retrieval methods for physical and electronic systems;
- design business information processing systems;
- apply skills related to business information processing systems using the latest technologies;
- work independently with little or no immediate supervision and know when to ask for additional assistance or refer decisions to a supervisor; and
- interact with foreign business people applying appropriate communication skills and business practices between different cultures.