Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Administrative Support 2 Certificate of Achievement prepares the student to use the computer to perform advanced word processing functions, adapt software to a variety of different jobs, and perform general office skills using critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Typical duties include applying organizational and time management skills to increase productivity, managing both automated and manual records, and using technology to product office documents.
This certificate is the advanced level of the Administrative Support program. Completion of the Administrative Support 1 Completion Certificate fulfills a portion of the Administrative Support 2 Certificate of Achievement.
The role of office professionals (commonly known as receptionist, typist, and secretary) has changed due to the downsizing of companies, a decrease in middle managers, and increased use of technology. Excellent opportunities for employment continue in many companies. Because job titles in industry vary, emphasis is placed on skills and competency levels rather than job titles. Programs encompass the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, and problem solving.
More information about the Business Office Technology programs can be found at the Business Office Technology website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Use correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary as expected in business writing, formal reports, and marketing materials;
- assess and recognize an audience in order to develop appropriate communications both orally and in writing that are sensitive to the audience's needs, values, and point of view;
- classify and manage electronic files and computerized records, apply basic alphabetic filing rules, select equipment and supplies, and generate meaningful reports;
- send and receive e-mail and manage schedule, contacts, notes, journal entries, and tasks with Outlook;
- create and compose an array of business documents using MS Word by utilizing a variety of word processing features and advanced functions;
- create, edit, format, and organize Excel worksheets, apply formulas and manipulate cell data, and work with large and multi-sheet workbooks;
- compose, edit, and create effective PowerPoint presentations; and
- input numbers rapidly and accurately by touch.
The requirements for the Administrative Support II Certificate program are:
Complete 20.75 units from
- Administrative Support 2 Requirements
|Administrative Support 2 Requirements - complete 20.80 units
|Business English Grammar
|Practical Business Math Skills
|Office Communication & Interpersonal Skills
|Records and Information Management
|Job Seeking Skills For Office Professionals
|Self-Paced 10-Key Numeric Keypad on IBM/DOS Equipment
|Organize Your Office Filing Systems
|Microsoft Word, Part 1
|Microsoft Word, Part 2
|Microsoft Excel, Part 1
|Microsoft Excel, Part 2
|Microsoft PowerPoint, Part 1
|Microsoft Access, Part 1
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.