This program is currently inactive. Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Administrative Support 1 Skills Certificate prepares the student as an entry-level office assistant. Typical duties include answering the phone, using interpersonal skills to effectively communicate, preparing accurately formatted Microsoft Word documents and flyers, organizing and manipulating data with Excel, and organizing paper and electronic records.
Students desiring more advanced skills may wish to pursue the Administrative Support 2 Certificate of Achievement. Completion of the Administrative Support 1 Skills Certificate fulfills 11.5 units of the Administrative Support 2 Certificate of Achievement.
The role of office support involves proficiency using computers and computer programs, outstanding organizational and communication skills, versatility, teamwork, and problem solving. Employment opportunities are widely available. Educational emphasis is placed on skills and competency levels rather than job titles.
More information about the Business Administration programs can be found at the Business Administration Department website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- Use correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary as expected in business writing, formal reports, and marketing materials;
- assess and recognize an audience in order to develop appropriate communications both orally and in writing that are sensitive to the audience's needs, values, and point of view;
- classify records necessary to the operation of an office, apply basic alphabetic filing rules, and select equipment and supplies;
- create and compose an array of business documents using MS Word by utilizing a variety of word processing features and functions with a quality acceptable to professional office standards;
- use advanced features of Microsoft Word to create long and complex documents;
- create, edit, format, and organize Excel worksheets and apply formulas and manipulate cell data; and
- input numbers rapidly and accurately by touch.
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.
The requirements for the Administrative Support 1 Certificate program are:
Complete 11.5 units from
- Administrative Support 1 Requirements
|Administrative Support 1 Requirements - complete 11.50 units|
|BGN 71||Business English Grammar||3.00|
|BGN 203||Self-Paced 10-Key Numeric Keypad||0.50|
|BOT 56.3||Office Communication & Interpersonal Skills||2.00|
|BOT 154.13||Job Seeking Skills For Office Professionals||1.00|
|BOT 174.3||Organize Your Office Filing Systems||0.50|
|CS 60.11A||Microsoft Word, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 60.11B||Microsoft Word, Part 2||1.50|
|CS 61.11A||Microsoft Excel, Part 1||1.50|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.