Printer Friendly Version
Recommended Course Sequence
|Water Utility Operations Certificate
|Engineering and Applied Technology
Total Units: 16
Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Water Utility Operations Certificate of Achievement Program provides instructional training necessary for entry level positions in the operation of water treatment facilities and water distribution systems as well as assistance in developing the knowledge to pass the required examinations administered by the California Department of Health Services. The program consists of 11.5 units of core requirements plus elective courses for a total of 16 units.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- Qualify to take the Certified Examinations at the Treatment (T2) or Distribution (D2) levels;
- evaluate careers in water treatment technology;
- utilize mathematical methods applicable to the fields of water treatment technology and water distribution technology;
- perform laboratory techniques and measure common water quality parameters related to water treatment parameters, such as turbidity and chlorine residual;
- meet current industry standards of training for the safe operation of a water treatment plant and delivery of water in a distribution system;
- evaluate and regulate water treatment processes and equipment including diagnosing system problems and taking effective actions to solve those problems; and
- comply with regulations ensuring the safety and health of the operator and the public.
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.
The requirements for the Water Utility Operations Certificate program are:
Complete 16 units from
- Water Utility Operations Requirements
|Water Utility Operations Requirements - complete 16.00 units
|Introduction to Water Careers
|Mathematical Methods for Water Treatment Technology
|Introduction to Water Sciences for Operators
|Chemistry and Lab Principles for Drinking Water Treatment
|Water Treatment Plant Operator
|Water Distribution System Operator
|Complete any combination totaling at least 4.50 units from the following:
|Business English Grammar
|Introduction to Solving Business Problems w/Spreadsheets
|Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers
|Programmable Logic Controllers for Maintenance Technicians 1
|Non-Technical Skills for the Civil Engineering Technician
|Elementary Algebra 1
|Elementary Algebra 2
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Course Prerequisites and Advisories:
Courses in a program of study may have prerequisites or advisories;
that is, courses that must or should be completed before taking that course.
Please check for prerequisites or advisories by clicking on the course numbers
in the Program Requirements section.