Printer Friendly Version
Recommended Course Sequence
||Chemistry & Physics
Total Units: 40
The Chemistry degree is designed for students who are planning to transfer as Chemistry majors, and who subsequently are planning to pursue a career in industrial research and development, medicine, science teaching, toxicology, pharmacy, environmental studies, space studies or other related fields.
To complete this major, students must complete a library research course and 39 units of preparatory chemistry, math and physics courses that are required by accredited four-year institutions.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
Additional courses must be taken to satisfy the General Education requirements of Santa Rosa Junior College.
- Relate observable phenomena to molecular events according to prevailing chemical theories;
- Identify, synthesize, predict and explain the structure of a variety of compounds, both inorganic and organic;
- Accurately and safely obtain and analyze data from experimental sources, including traditional laboratory methods, computer-interfaced data collection devices, and advanced analytical instrumentation;
- Use critical thinking skills to analyze applications of chemical knowledge and theories; and
- Communicate effectively the results of laboratory experiments, including error analysis.
The requirements for the Chemistry (AS) program are:
Complete 40 units from
- Chemistry Major Requirements
- Information Learning Resources Requirement
|Chemistry Major Requirements - complete 39.00 units|
|CHEM 3A||General Chemistry Part 1: Lecture||3.00|
|CHEM 3AL||General Chemistry Part 1: Lab||2.00|
|CHEM 3B||General Chemistry Part 2||5.00|
|CHEM 12A||Organic Chemistry||5.00|
|CHEM 12B||Organic Chemistry||5.00|
|MATH 1A||Calculus, First Course||5.00|
|MATH 1B||Calculus, Second Course||5.00|
|PHYS 40||Classical Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers||5.00|
|PHYS 41||Waves, Optics and Thermodynamics for Scientists & Engineers||4.00|
|Information Learning Resources Requirement - complete 1.00 units|
|LIR 10||Introduction to Information Literacy||1.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
Course Prerequisites and Advisories:
Courses in a program of study may have prerequisites or advisories;
that is, courses that must or should be completed before taking that course.
Please check for prerequisites or advisories by clicking on the course numbers
in the Program Requirements section.