Printer Friendly Version
Recommended Course Sequence
|ESL Credit: Advanced ESL for Academics and Careers Certificate
||English as a Second Language
Total Units: 14.5
Students who complete the Advanced ESL for Academics and Careers Certificate of Achievement will be prepared to
meet the English language demands for a variety of occupations and for further academic study, including entry into
college-level academic courses.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Produce writings that demonstrate organization and content, critical thinking, vocabulary and fluency, and grammatical accuracy for a variety of audiences and purposes.
- Comprehend reading passages in a range of contexts by identifying organizational strategies, main ideas, and details as well as paraphrasing and summarizing.
- Word-process writings of various types and access information on the Internet.
- Demonstrate content knowledge of the vocation(s) introduced in chosen electives.
The requirements for the ESL Credit: Advanced ESL for Academics and Careers Certificate program are:
Complete 14.5 units from
- Advanced ESL for Academics and Careers
|Advanced ESL for Academics and Careers - complete 14.50 units|
|ESL 373CP||ESL Advanced Conversation/Pronunciation||3.00|
|Complete a combination totaling at least 9.00 units from the following:|
|ESL 373||Advanced Academic Reading and Writing for ESL Students||9.00|
|ESL 373A AND||Advanced Academic Reading and Writing for ESL Students Part1||4.50|
|ESL 373B||Advanced Academic Reading and Writing for ESL Students Part2||4.50|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 2.50 units from the following:|
|BGN 110||Exploring Business Careers||1.00|
|COUN 162.1||Career Assessment and Research||1.00|
|ESL 332||ESL for Desktop Applications||1.50|
|ESL 334||ESL for the Health Sciences||3.00|
|ESL 335||Vocational English as a Second Language for Culinary Arts||3.00|
|ESL 353||Practical ESL for Early Childhood Professionals||3.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Course Prerequisites and Advisories:
Courses in a program of study may have prerequisites or advisories;
that is, courses that must or should be completed before taking that course.
Please check for prerequisites or advisories by clicking on the course numbers
in the Program Requirements section.