The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Associate in Arts in Political Science for Transfer (AA-T) degree will provide students with a framework for understanding political theories, institutions and processes. Completion of the degree should provide students with a seamless transition to a four-year institution and the analytical tools needed for success in the major at the university level. This associate degree is designed to provide a clear and seamless pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses. Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.
Students will have to fulfill the following requirements to earn this degree:
- Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth requirements; and
- A minimum of 18 semester units as required for the Associate in Arts in Political Science for Transfer Major.
- Obtainment of an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- Earn a grade of C or better in all courses required for the Associate in Arts in Political Science for Transfer Major.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- Describe how different political theories and political systems address the question of who governs, how resources are allocated, and what rights citizens have in a society;
- analyze how political institutions and processes impact our daily lives;
- employ critical thinking skills and analysis to interpret and support a political position;
- research contemporary political issues drawing on diverse sources, including online material;
- assess and distinguish between factual and interpretive information.
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence and the Transfer Model Curriculum template transfer model template.