The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
The Water Utility Operations Certificate of Achievement provides instructional training necessary for entry level positions in the operation of water treatment facilities and water distribution systems as well as assistance in developing the knowledge to pass the required examinations administered by the California Department of Health Services.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Qualify to take the Certified Examinations at the Treatment (T3) or Distribution (D3) levels;
- Evaluate careers in water treatment technology;
- Utilize mathematical methods applicable to the fields of water treatment technology and water distribution technology;
- Perform laboratory techniques and measure common water quality parameters related to water treatment parameters, such as turbidity and chlorine residual;
- Meet current industry standards of training for the safe operation of a water treatment plant and delivery of water in a distribution system;
- Evaluate and regulate water treatment processes and equipment including diagnosing system problems and taking effective actions to solve those problems; and
- Comply with regulations ensuring the safety and health of the operator and the public.