The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Culinary Arts major is designed to train individuals in all aspects of the culinary arts field. Successful students will be prepared to work as cooks in a wide range of food service settings, such as restaurants, hotels, catering operations, and institutional kitchens, including banquet cooks. Additionally, this training will prepare students for transfer to a professional chef program or four-year university. Because of certain restrictions for transfer, please consult with a counselor before beginning the program.
This program of study is also available as a career certificate option.
For more information, see the Culinary Arts website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- Demonstrate station organization, purchasing, storage, menu writing, and sanitation principles as they apply to food handling;
- use classic cooking terminology and methods, apply health and safety standards;
- demonstrate skill and apply professional industry standards in food handling, beverage service, baking and food service, and use of hand tools;
- demonstrate responsibility and team skills for the food service industry;
- describe career opportunities within the food industry and strategize own career;
- critique, assess and improve one's own performance, listening skills and communication skills for personal, academic, and career purposes;
- recognize the diversity of cultural influences and values related to a professional culinary environment; and
- think critically in evaluating information, solving problems, and making decisions related to food preparation and food service.
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.
It is important that students who are completing an Associate Degree and desire to transfer to a four-year institution meet with a counselor to plan their lower division coursework. While many majors at SRJC are intended to align with lower division major preparation required by California public universities, specific lower-division major requirements vary among individual campuses. See a counselor, visit the Transfer Center, and check Guides For Transfer in Specific Majors, and ASSIST to review transfer preparation guides for specific schools and majors.
The requirements for the Culinary Arts program are:
Complete 40 units from
- Culinary Arts Major Requirements
- Culinary Arts Major Elective Requirements
- Information Learning Resources Requirement
|Culinary Arts Major Requirements - complete 38.00 units|
|CUL 250 ||Sanitation and Safety||1.00|
|CUL 250.1 ||Culinary Arts Survey||1.00|
|CUL 252.3 ||Knife Skills||2.00|
|CUL 252.13 ||Fundamentals of Garde Manger||1.00|
|CUL 253A ||Culinary Cafe 1||6.00|
|CUL 253B ||Culinary Cafe 2||6.00|
|CUL 253.1 ||Professional Cooking Basics||2.00|
|CUL 253.5 ||Professional Meat and Sauce Preparation||1.00|
|CUL 254 ||Introduction to Baking & Pastry||4.00|
|CUL 255 ||Production Baking||5.00|
|CUL 256 ||Front House Operations||4.50|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 4.50 units from the following:|
|CUL 254.9 ||Cakes & Cake Decorating||1.00|
|CUL 254.10 ||Tarts & Pies||1.00|
|CUL 254.11 ||Chocolate Techniques||1.00|
|CUL 254.12 ||Cookies, Candies, & Confections||1.00|
|CUL 254.13 ||Ice Cream, Custards, & Soft Desserts||1.00|
|CUL 256.3 ||Introduction to Food and Beverage Operations||1.00|
|CUL 256.5 ||Wine Appreciation||1.50|
|CUL 256.6 ||Wine and Food Affinities||1.00|
|FDNT 63 ||Dimensions of Nutrition||2.00|
|SUSAG 131 ||Organic Gardening Basics||0.50-1.00|
|Culinary Arts Major Elective Requirements - complete 1.00 units|
|Information Learning Resources Requirement - complete 1.00 units|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 1.00 units from the following:|
|LIR 10 ||Introduction to Information Literacy||1.00|
|LIR 30 ||Introduction to Information Literacy for Research Projects||1.00|