Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
The Business: Account Clerk and Payroll Certificate of Achievement prepares the student as an entry-level accounts payable/accounts receivable clerk, with responsibilities including data entry. The curriculum includes basic accounting concepts, records management, spreadsheets, specialized payroll accounting and reporting procedures, and other entry-level skills.
Payroll is a specialized area of accounting with complicated federal and state government reporting and legal requirements. Employment opportunities exist in various business and government sectors, payroll service companies, and accounting firms. The payroll assistant generally reports to the payroll supervisor or accountant and will be involved in activities such as time tracking, record keeping, balancing payroll accounts, and tax returns. Account Clerks perform tasks such as recording daily transactions in journals, posting figures into ledgers, handling payments and receipts, and computing payrolls. It requires skill in the operation of 10-key calculators, computers, and other office equipment. Programs encompass the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, and problem-solving.
Students desiring more advanced skills may wish to pursue the Bookkeeping Certificate of Achievement. Completion of the Business: Account Clerk and Payroll Skills Certificate fulfills a portion of the Bookkeeper Certificate of Achievement program. The employment outlook is very good. With additional training, individuals can progress to bookkeeper, accountant and CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
- Analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report selected financial information and commonly used financial statements and related reports, using generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP);
- analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report basic advanced payroll information including payment of wages along with associated payroll tax liabilities; for both and state tax entities;
- calculate, analyze, and interpret a variety of mathematical business problems, comparisons, and elementary statistics;
- demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills to record and report various Human Resource, Payroll benefit, and financial information and job seeking skills;
- use a computer to tabulate, calculate, record, organize and report financial information; and
- effectively use computer keyboard, 10-Key, and other modern devices to calculate, tabulate, and assist in reporting and recording of financial information.
The requirements for the Business: Account Clerk and Payroll Certificate program are:
Complete 16 units from
- Payroll/Account Clerk Requirements
|Payroll/Account Clerk Requirements - complete 16.00 units|
|BBK 50||Computerized Bookkeeping and Accounting 1||3.00|
|BBK 52.1||Payroll Record Keeping and Reporting||3.00|
|BBK 53.1||QuickBooks Level 1||1.50|
|BGN 81||Practical Business Math Skills||3.00|
|BGN 203||10-Key Skills||0.50|
|CS 60.11A||Microsoft Word, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 61.11A||Microsoft Excel, Part 1||1.50|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 1.50 units from the following:|
|BGN 110||Exploring Business Careers||1.00|
|BGN 111||Soft Skills for Business||3.00|
|BGN 112||Marketing Your Skills||3.00|
|BGN 205||Basic Filing||0.50|
|CS 63.11A||Microsoft Access, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 167.11||Microsoft Outlook||0.50|
|HR 62||Human Resource Records||1.00|
|HR 64||Human Resource Salary Administration||1.00|
|HR 65||Human Resource Benefits Administration||1.50|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 0.50 units from the following:|
|BGN 102||Typing-Skill Building||1.50|
|BGN 201||Basic Keyboarding||0.50|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.