The Account Clerk Skills Certificate prepares the student as an entry level accounts payable/accounts receivable clerk, with responsibilities including data entry. The curriculum includes basic accounting concepts, records management, spreadsheets, and other entry level skills.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
The occupation involves such tasks as recording daily transactions in journals, posting figures into ledgers, handling payments and receipts, and computing payrolls. It requires skill in the operation of 10-key calculators, computers, and other office equipment. Programs encompass the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, and problem-solving.
Students desiring more advanced skills may wish to pursue the Bookkeeping Certificate of Achievement. Completion of the Account Clerk Skills Certificate fulfills a portion of the Bookkeeper Certificate of Achievement program. The employment outlook is very good. With additional training, individuals can progress to bookkeeper, accountant, and CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
- Analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report selected financial information and commonly used financial statements and related reports, using
generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP);
- analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report basic payroll information including payment of wages along with associated payroll tax liabilities;
- calculate, analyze, and interpret a variety of mathematical business problems, comparisons, and elementary statistics;
- demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills to report financial information and job seeking skills;
- use a computer to tabulate, calculate, record, organize and report financial information; and
- effectively use computer keyboard, 10-Key, and other modern devices to calculate, tabulate, and assist in reporting and recording of financial
The requirements for the Account Clerk Certificate program are:
Complete 13.5 units from
- Account Clerk Requirements
|Account Clerk Requirements - complete 13.50 units|
|BBK 50||Computerized Bookkeeping and Accounting I||3.00|
|BBK 53.1||QuickBooks Level 1||1.50|
|BGN 81||Practical Business Math Skills||3.00|
|BGN 201||Typing Self-Paced||0.50|
|BGN 203||Self-Paced 10-Key||0.50|
|BGN 205||Basic Filing||0.50|
|CS 60.11A||Microsoft Word, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 61.11A||Microsoft Excel, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 167.11||Microsoft Outlook||0.50|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 1.00 units from the following:|
|BGN 110||Exploring Business Careers||1.00|
|BGN 112||Marketing Your Skills||3.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.