Printer Friendly Version
Recommended Course Sequence
|Office Assistant Certificate
Total Units: 12
This program is currently inactive. Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Office Assistant Skills Certificate prepares the student for employment in a clerical-type position. Students may complete the program in less than two semesters. Most of the courses required of this certificate program will count towards the requirements of higher level certificate programs in this department.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
A unique aspect of this program is the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, problem-solving, and systems development. Students not only receive the technical training they need to qualify for clerical employment in an office, but also receive training in the soft skills that are highly sought after by business and industry.
Numerous clerical office positions are available in every occupational field. The titles for the positions will vary. Students should compare the skills sets obtained in the courses with the job descriptions. Students desiring more advanced skills may pursue the Administrative Assistant Certificate of Achievement. Students completing the Office Assistant Skills Certificate will have fulfilled a portion of the Administrative Assistant Certificate of Achievement.
- Use a word processing program to complete business documents and projects;
- apply correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling in business documents and correspondence;
- use critical thinking, problem solving, interpersonal, and collaborative skills to complete work independently or in a team in an ethical and professional manner;
- use integrated math computational skills to solve a variety of business applications such as inventory, payroll, calculating interest, and budget monitoring; and
- complete office tasks such as filing, providing customer service, using telephone techniques, and entering data in software programs.
The requirements for the Office Assistant Certificate program are:
Complete 12 units from
- Office Assistant Requirements
|Office Assistant Requirements - complete 12.00 units|
|BGN 71||Business English Grammar||3.00|
|BGN 102||Typing-Skill Building||1.50|
|BGN 110||Exploring Business Careers||1.00|
|BGN 111||Soft Skills for Business||3.00|
|BGN 205||Basic Filing||0.50|
|CS 60.11A||Microsoft Word, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 61.11A||Microsoft Excel, Part 1||1.50|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Course Prerequisites and Advisories:
Courses in a program of study may have prerequisites or advisories;
that is, courses that must or should be completed before taking that course.
Please check for prerequisites or advisories by clicking on the course numbers
in the Program Requirements section.