Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Office Assistant Skills Certificate prepares the student for employment in a clerical-type position. Students may complete the program in less than two semesters. Most of the courses required of this certificate program will count towards the requirements of higher level certificate programs in this department.
A unique aspect of this program is the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, problem-solving, and systems development. Students not only receive the technical training they need to qualify for clerical employment in an office, but also receive training in the soft skills that are highly sought after by business and industry.
Numerous clerical office positions are available in every occupational field. The titles for the positions will vary. Students should compare the skills sets obtained in the courses with the job descriptions. Students desiring more advanced skills may pursue the Administrative Assistant Certificate of Achievement. Students completing the Office Assistant Skills Certificate will have fulfilled a portion of the Administrative Assistant Certificate of Achievement.
More information about the program can be found at the Business Admimistration Department website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Use a word processing program to complete business documents and projects;
- apply correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling in business documents and correspondence;
- use critical thinking, problem solving, interpersonal, and collaborative skills to complete work independently or in a team in an ethical and professional manner;
- use integrated math computational skills to solve a variety of business applications such as inventory, payroll, calculating interest, and budget monitoring; and
- complete office tasks such as filing, providing customer service, using telephone techniques, and entering data in software programs.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, can view the recommended course sequence.
The requirements for the Office Assistant Certificate program are:
Complete 16 units from
- Office Assistant Requirements
|Office Assistant Requirements - complete 16.00 units
|Business English Grammar
|Practical Business Math Skills
|Self-Paced 10-Key Numeric Keypad
|Workforce Issues for Business Professionals
|Career Planning for Business Professionals
|Basic Filing, Self Paced
|Complete any combination totaling at least 3.00 units from the following:
|Microsoft Word, Part 1
|Microsoft Excel, Part 1
|Microsoft Access, Part 1
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.