The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Agriculture Business major provides students with current, marketable skills and knowledge to enter the agriculture industry. It incorporates technology, communication skills, and business principles as applied to the field.
The challenging and diversified field of agricultural business provides a large employment potential for men and women. Opportunities exist in areas of product marketing and distribution, input supply, sales and services, business management, and communications.
California needs over 8,000 additional trained people each year for employment in agriculture. The training program at SRJC prepares the student for a choice of jobs on the farm as well as related jobs off the farm. Working conditions in agricultural positions are ideal for those individuals who enjoy working out-of-doors.
For more information see the Agriculture Department website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the different types of business organizations in agribusiness;
- Demonstrate understanding of the principles and strategies for selling and marketing in agribusiness;
- Develop and present effective sales or marketing plan for value-added products/commodities;
- Incorporate technology, communication, leadership and business management skills in agribusiness;
- Organize and prepare reports, make presentations and analyze data for Agribusiness using appropriate software and hardware; and
- Demonstrate proficiency in accounting procedures using double entry bookkeeping system.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.