The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
See the state issued Transfer Model Curriculum (TMC) template for any further clarification regarding program requirements.
Students completing the Associate in Arts for Transfer in Psychology at Santa Rosa Junior College will develop skills and knowledge consistent with the study of Psychology in a global, multicultural, and comparative context. The successful student will have mastered the reading, writing, and research skills essential to psychological inquiry and exposition. Completion of the major will provide the orientation and background necessary for success in psychology at the university level and will provide a foundation for lifelong learning. This major fulfills the transfer model curriculum for the California State University (CSU) campuses.
The Psychology Associate in Arts for Transfer degree is designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an ADT are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses. Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.
Students will have to fulfill the following requirements to earn this degree.
- Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
a) The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth requirements; and
b) A minimum of 27 semester units as required for the Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer major.
- Obtainment of an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- Earn a grade of C or better in all courses required for the Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer major.
- Identify the major theoretical approaches, theorists, and historical trends in psychology;
- understand and use basic research methods in psychology, including design, data analysis and interpretation;
- apply psychological knowledge to personal, social, and cultural issues;
- develop interpersonal skills to foster an understanding of self and others in a diverse cultural context;
- apply critical thinking to psychological theories, research, and personal assumptions; and
- articulate thoughts effectively in written and oral communication.