The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Restaurant Management Degree program is designed to train individuals in all aspects of restaurant management. Successful students will be prepared to work in a variety of managerial roles in restaurants, hotels, catering companies and other similar food service businesses.
This program of study is also available as a Career Certificate option.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- Employ proper restaurant management to ensure compliance with safety and
- use basic math skills to accomplish cash management, labor, and food costing;
- develop employee professionalism in a restaurant setting;
- apply federal and state wage and labor laws;
- employ industry standards relating to service, sales, and alcoholic beverage service;
- apply human resource principles to hire, and manage a front house staff;
- employ the diversity of cultural influences and values related to a professional
culinary environment; and
- exercise critical thinking in evaluating information, solving problems, and making
decisions related to food preparation and food service.
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.