The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Political Science major will provide students with a framework for understanding political theories, institutions and processes. Completion of the program should provide students with the analytical tools needed for success in the major at the university level.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Describe how different political theories and political systems address the question of who governs, how resources are allocated, and what rights citizens have in a society;
- Analyze how political institutions and processes impact our daily lives;
- Employ critical thinking skills and analysis to interpret and support a political position;
- Research contemporary political issues drawing on diverse sources, including online material; and
- Assess and distinguish between factual and interpretive information.