The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
Dance - effective Summer 2012
Dance - effective Summer 2011
Dance - effective Fall 2010
Dance - effective Spring 2009
Dance - effective Fall 2008
Dance - effective Spring 2007
Dance - effective Fall 2003
The Dance major leads to an Associate in Arts in Dance and provides the student with a solid foundation in ballet, modern and jazz dance as well as the opportunity to explore other areas of interest. The Dance major will prepare a student for transfer or for careers in dance.
More information about the Dance program can be found at the Dance page on the Athletics Department website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in modern, jazz, and ballet dance forms, in both the performance and production aspects of dance;
- display the skills and techniques necessary for employment as instructors, choreographers, and/or performers;
- apply the craft and aesthetic qualities of dance orally, practically, and in writing; and
- apply the skills and knowledge of dance in advanced courses in order to transfer to four year institutions.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.
It is important that students who are completing an Associate Degree and desire to transfer to a four-year institution meet with a counselor to plan their lower division coursework. While many majors at SRJC are intended to align with lower division major preparation required by California public universities, specific lower-division major requirements vary among individual campuses. See a counselor, visit the Transfer Center, and check Guides For Transfer in Specific Majors, and ASSIST to review transfer preparation guides for specific schools and majors.
1. There will be an orientation meeting during the first week of school. Please check with the department for place and time.
2. It is HIGHLY recommended to take the courses in the sequence suggested; i.e., take Level I first semester (all dance forms), then Level II the second semester, etc.
The courses below are only offered during the indicated semester:
Dance 2 - Spring
Dance 4 - Spring
Dance 28 - Spring
Dance 29 - Fall
The necessary higher level Dance technique classes (levels III and IV) need to be taken prior to the expiration of the 4 semester limit. (repeat code 22)