Printer Friendly Version
Recommended Course Sequence
|Journalism: Digital Certificate
Total Units: 25
The Journalism: Digital Certificate of Achievement provides students with an introduction to and skills in digital journalism and provides hands-on preparation for entry-level work in web journalism and/or an overlay of digital skills for recent journalism graduates and seasoned print journalists.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Develop, create, report, research and produce technically well-executed news and feature stories for the web and/or broadcast news using combinations of text, images, audio, video and social media.
- Use new website, audio and video software systems to produce multimedia stories.
- Write news and feature stories on print and web deadlines using foundational journalism skills such as developing story ideas, conducting research, interviewing sources, and applying proper grammar and Associated Press Style.
- Exercise news judgment and apply knowledge of online journalism ethical, legal and content issues to real-life situations.
- Analyze and evaluate multimedia stories for content, aesthetics and technical quality.
The requirements for the Journalism: Digital Certificate program are:
Complete 25 units from
- Journalism: Digital Core Certificate
- Journalism: Digital Elective Certificate
|Journalism: Digital Core Certificate - complete 17.00 units|
|JOUR 1||Introduction to Journalism||3.00|
|JOUR 1L||Introduction to Journalism Lab||0.50|
|JOUR 2||News Gathering and News Writing||3.00|
|JOUR 2L||News Gathering and News Writing Lab||0.50|
|JOUR 52A||News Media Practice 1||3.00|
|JOUR 55||Multimedia Reporting||4.00|
|JOUR 56||Editing for News Media||3.00|
|Journalism: Digital Elective Certificate - complete 8.00 units|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 8.00 units from the following:|
|CS 57.11||Social Media, the Internet, and Society||3.00|
|CS 74.11||Introduction to Digital Media||3.00|
|CS 74.21A||Digital Video Post-Production Techniques 1||1.50|
|CS 74.21B||Digital Video Post-Production Techniques 2||1.50|
|CS 76.11||Drone Piloting and Imaging||3.00|
|ENGL 4A||Beginning Creative Writing||3.00|
|JOUR 52B||News Media Practice 2||5.00|
|JOUR 52C||News Media Practice 3||5.00|
|MEDIA 18||Audio for Film Production||3.00|
|MEDIA 19||Multi-Camera Studio Production||4.00|
|MEDIA 20||Introduction to Digital Filmmaking||4.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Course Prerequisites and Advisories:
Courses in a program of study may have prerequisites or advisories;
that is, courses that must or should be completed before taking that course.
Please check for prerequisites or advisories by clicking on the course numbers
in the Program Requirements section.
It is important that students who are completing an Associate Degree and desire to transfer to a four-year institution meet with a counselor to plan their lower division coursework. While many majors at SRJC are intended to align with lower division major preparation required by California public universities, specific lower-division major requirements vary among individual campuses. See a counselor, visit the Transfer Center, and check Guides For Transfer in Specific Majors, and ASSIST to review transfer preparation guides for specific schools and majors.
- Digital - Video/documentary
- Take Intro to Digital Media, Digital Filmmaking 1, and Oak Leaf 2, Dig. Vid post production A&B
- Digital - Broadcast
- Take Intro to Digital Media, Media 19 and Oak Leaf 2 and Dig. Vid post production A&B
- Digital - Photojournalism
- Take Photojounrnalism, Drone piloting/imaging and Oak Leaf 2
- Digital - Podcasting
- Take Digital Audio 1 and 2, Oak Leaf 2
- General/Writing - Longform
- Take Creative Writing; Oak leaf 2, Photojournalism
- General/Writing - News
- Take Photojournlaism, Oak Leaf 2, Social Media and/or intro to digital media