Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Culinary Arts Certificate of Achievement is designed to train individuals
in all aspects of the culinary arts field. Successful students will be
prepared to work as cooks in a wide range of food service settings, such as
restaurants, hotels, catering operations, and institutional kitchens. Training
options also prepare students to transfer to a professional chef program or
four-year university. Students are instructed in the preparation of stocks,
soups, sauces, side dishes, garde manger, entrees, breads, pastries, and
desserts. While working in the Culinary Cafe, students rotate through kitchen
stations to gain the proficiency required to perform at a professional level
in a commercial kitchen.
The full time student can complete this program in two semesters. Students
interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, can view
the recommended course sequence. This program of study
is also available as an Associate degree major option. For more information, see the Culinary Arts website.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate station organization, purchasing, storage, menu writing, and sanitation
principles as they apply to food handling;
- define and use the basic terminology and techniques of the culinary professional;
- demonstrate skill and apply professional industry standards in food handling,
beverage service, baking, and food service;
- demonstrate the importance of local and seasonal products in professional cooking;
- demonstrate responsibility and team skills for the food service industry;
- determine and appraise career opportunities within the food industry;
- critique, assess, and improve performance, listening add communication skills; and
- employ the diversity of cultural influences and values related to a professional
The requirements for the Culinary Arts Certificate program are:
Complete 24 units from
- Culinary Arts Requirements
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.