Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Differentiate among a variety of substrates and apply them effectively
for design projects.
2. Create various textures using alcohol based inks, watercolors,
airbrush, verdigris, crackle varnish, acrylic mediums and use them
effectively to produce a collage illustration.
3. Generate varnish simulations using the copy machine.
4. Conceive and produce simple, stylized graphic illustrations using
scratchboard, linocuts, pastels, colored pencils, stamping, cel
paints, and claymation techniques.
5. Develop concept sketches for thumbnails and roughs using markers and
6. Construct mock-ups (comprehensives) illustrating specialty processes
such as embossing, foil stamping, die cutting, and thermography.
7. Produce 3-D mock-ups and pop-ups demonstrating an ability to cut
precisely, score carefully, and use adhesives effectively.
8. Fabricate handmade paper to be used in creating collage illustrations
and background textures.
9. Conceive and produce images using hand-done lettering techniques such
as brush lettering, custom transfers, torn paper, and gold leafing.
10. Design and produce stylized illustrations, incorporating the
principles of simplification and exaggeration.
11. Conceive graphic design projects inspired by a variety of outside
12. Develop methods of organizing and recording design ideas by using
13. Put into a list the steps involved in the book binding process and
identify the most common styles of binding.
1. Where to look for Great Ideas.
2. Creating Effective Concept Sketches
3. How to Recognize Surfaces for Design
4. How to Use Collage in the Design Arena
5. Making Your Own Textures
6. The Graphic Style: Stylizing your images.
7. How to Make Paper.
8. Creating Unique Type.
9. Creating Watercolor Textures.
10. Printmaking and Stamping for the Designer.
11. Using Your Laser printer, Inkjet printer and Color copy machine.
12. Animation Cel paints.
13. 3-D Mock Ups.
14. Book Binding Techniques.
15. Drawing Tips for the Graphic Designer.
16. Using Colored Pencils
17. Using Scratchboard.
18. Inking Tools for Design
19. How to Comp Specialty Process
20. How to Create Pop-Ups.