Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. Use conflict resolution techniques to avoid controversy with others.
2. Practice open and honest communication in order to maintain quality working relationships.
3. Identify, describe, and maintain professional boundaries in the workplace.
4. Deliver high quality customer service and establish professional customer relations.
5. Maintain professionalism in all workplace relations.
6. Apply standards of ethics in the workplace.
7. Estimate time needs for projects and consequently manage time in the workplace.
I. Personality Attributes in the Workplace
A. Personality assessment
B. Personality types at work
C. Communication techniques for various personalities
II. Conflict Resolution in the Workplace
A. Active listening vs. hearing
B. Conflict resolution through active listening
C. Understanding and applying compromise
III. Professional Boundaries in the Workplace
A. Small talk as a team building tool
B. Understanding and applying professional boundaries
C. Reporting unprofessional behavior
IV. Customer Service
A. Listening to customer needs and wants
B. Developing professional customer relationship
C. Providing outstanding customer service
V. Ethics in the Workplace
A. Treating others with honesty, fairness, and respect
B. Abiding by an ethical code in the workplace
C. Encouraging others to act ethically
VI. Time Management
A. Managing time effectively
B. Prioritizing and planning
C. Causes of procrastination
D. Planning ahead to avoid procrastination
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
30 - 40%
|Short answer essays; short responses; pre- and post-assessment||
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
10 - 20%
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
10 - 20%
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
0 - 0%
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
30 - 40%
|Active participation and attendance||
Instructor prepared materials
Tools for Workplace Success. McGraw-Hill Education. 2012