Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. Define the functions of marketing, where and how they are performed locally and globally.
2. Identify general problems in the marketing system.
3. Identify problems of specific commodities in local area.
4. Discuss and diagram how to use marketing channels in our area.
5. Identify current trends in marketing.
6. Define the role of government in agricultural marketing.
7. Define the role of marketing cooperatives.
8. Define risk and develop plans for reducing risk.
9. Identify the marketing alternatives available to individual firms.
10. Collect and analyze marketing information.
11. Identify and design a marketing strategy for a specific commodity.
12. Chart and interpret market information.
13. Analyze market structure of specific agricultural commodities of a local or global region.
14. Design and implement simple marketing research.
15. Develop an effective marketing plan.
16. Make effective marketing presentations.
1. Role of Marketing in Agribusiness System
a. Marketing's role in the economy
b. Evolution of the marketing system
c. Nine functions of marketing
d. Four utilities of marketing
2. The Framework of Agricultural Markets
a. Food and fiber marketing
b. Analyzing marketing performance
c. Agricultural production and marketing
3. Food and Fiber Markets and Institutions
a. Food and fiber consumption and marketing
b. Food and fiber processing and manufacturing
c. Food and fiber wholesaling and retailing
4. Market Planning
a. Market analysis
b. Analyzing customer needs
c. Planning, direction, objectives and marketing support
d. Outline of a marketing pla
e. Marketing budget.
5. Marketing Research
a. Overview of marketing research
b. Classification of marketing research
c. Determining research objectives
d. Analyzing marketing information
6. Marketing Strategy
c. Value addition
7. Marketing Mix
a. Managing marketing mix (product)
b. Managing marketing mix (price)
c. Managing marketing mix (place)
d. Managing marketing mix (promotion)
8. Marketing Communication
a. Forms of communication
b. Types of communication media
c. Integrated marketing communication
9. Prices and Marketing Costs
a. Price analysis
b. Competition in food and fiber markets
c. The behavior of farm prices
d. Food and fiber marketing costs
10. Functional and Organizational Issues
a. Organization of food and fiber markets.
b. Cooperatives in the food and fiber industry
c. Market power and bargaining associations
d. Market information
e. Standardization and grading
11. Government and Food Marketing
a. Price, income, and marketing programs
b. Forward contracting
c. Price risk management
12. Specific Commodity Marketing
a. Overview of U.S. production
b. Overview of California market
c. Overview U.S. market
d. Overview of global markets
13. Future of Agribusiness Marketing
a. Evolution of agribusiness marketing
b. Changing Environment
c. Agribusiness marketing careers
14. Marketing Presentation
a. Types of presentation
b. Content of presentation
c. Audience and presentation styles
d. Presentation tools
Marketing of Agricultural Products; by Richard L. Kohls and Joseph N. Uhl, 10th ed., 2007