Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Create design projects for print and the web using spot color, 4-color
process & web color using Illustrator features.
2. Evaluate and modify digitized images and type using illustrator tools.
3. Create and proof color separations.
4. Export files for use in layout programs.
5. Print black and white and composite color files.
6. Tile oversized work.
7. Create working files for service bureau output and on-screen
Systematic exploration of the program as it relates to the graphic design
1. Overview of Illustrator's tools.
2. Palettes and dialog boxes.
3. Creating new files. Saving files and custom settings.
4. Strokes and fills, basic tool use.
5. The Pen tool and Bezier curves.
6. Tracing templates.
7. Manipulating points and paths.
8. Working with the Layers palette.
9. Using Color: gradients, radial and linear fills, gradient tool.
10. Creating type and good typography: fonts, kerning and tracking,
character and paragraph formatting.
11. Type features: text on a path, create outlines, text effects.
12. Importing graphics: scanning, compatible graphics formats, tracing.
13. Manipulating imported graphics: filters, managing links.
14. Combining text and graphics, text in an object, text wrap.
15. Path operations: slice, union, crop, exclude, Compound paths.
16. Creating Blends: color, shape, and line.
18. Overview of color: applying color, color systems, matching systems.
19. Creating web illustrations: RGB color system and the web palette.
20. Using spot color in documents.
21. Creating process color documents.
23. Color separations: creating and proofing.
24. Exporting files for use in layout programs.
25. Printing black and white, and composite color files; tiling oversize
26. Preflighting files for service bureau output.
Projects: (3 to 4 weeks each)
1. Image Source notebook (semester long, checked every 8 weeks)
2. Map / Geometric Puzzle Design
3. Custom stickers design
4. Educational poster
Exercises: (1 week each)
1. Weekly technique worksheets
2. Dashed pattern design
5. Celtic Border
6. Industrial device
7. Typographical greeting card
8. Comping a spot color logo
9. Logo EPS
10. Icons for web design
11. Trapping exercise
"The Illustrator 8 Book" by Deke McClelland, PEACHPIT 1998