The students will be able to:
1. Compare and contrast the impact of first impressions on private
sector and business sector.
2. Discuss and compare how clothing communicates the social, economic
and psychological conditions of a culture.
3. Discuss and compare the factors influencing why clothing is worn.
4. Define basic fashion terminology and select illustration to
represent twenty five terms discussed in class.
5. Analyze various body types: ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph.
6. Prepare a diagram to scale of a body and evaluate the body for good
proportion, comparing it to an ideal diagram.
7. Select appropriate fashion styles for body which includes, line,
design motif, texture, proportion and scale, color and fabric.
8. Inventory an existing wardrobe to determine the appropriateness of
of each item and how items relate to overall wardrobe plan.
9. Recognize factors that influence appearance.
10. Discuss and apply proper techniques to enhance skin, hair, nails,
body, and dietary needs.
11. Discuss and apply various makeup techniques to create illusion.
12. Prepare a basic wardrobe plan for working woman and man which
includes style, fabric and color choices and an analysis of design
13. Describe the theory of color analysis and analyze the various color
theories promoted in the marketplace.
14. Assemble a color aid appropriate for hair,eye, skin and read
15. Discuss factors that influence good fit in clothing.
16. Discuss and compare wardrobe care for various clothing fabrics.
17. Discuss future trends in clothing design manufacturing techniques.
A. First impression
2. Psychological and sociological influences of dress
A. How clothing becomes a medium of expressing the individual's
work and feeling about self
B. Clothing and other communications of culture
C. Fashion - fad - style - which for you?
3. Physical influences of appearance
A. Your body, diet, skin, hair, and nails
B. Grooming aids - make-up/herbal cosmetics
4. Consumer clothing and design
A. Form, shape, space, line, color, texture
B. Fabric design
C. Personal figure and color analysis
5. Consumer clothing and design
A. Wardrobe planning and collecting
B. Fit in clothing
C. Wardrobe care
D. Shopping for clothing
6. Future of clothing
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
10 - 20%
|Written homework, Term papers||
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
10 - 20%
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
15 - 35%
|LAB PROJECTS:BODY GRAPH ETC||
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
10 - 30%
|Multiple choice, True/false, Matching items, Completion, SHORT ESSAY||
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
15 - 35%
Changing Appearances, Understanding Dress in Contemporary Society by
George B. Sproles, C. 1994