Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Employ safe, hygienic food handling procedures applicable to preparing
cookies, candies, and confections.
2. Explain the function of ingredients and their effects on the final
3. Mix, portion, shape, bake and finish a variety of French, Italian, and
4. Describe methods of quantity production of cookies.
5. Cook sugar and identify all of its stages to caramelization,
distinguishing problems at each stage of the process.
6. Use a candy thermometer to identify temperature of cooked sugar
7. Prepare caramelized sugar for decorating and confection.
8. Prepare marzipan for use as a confection.
9. Temper chocolate for use as a candy.
10. Prepare an assortment of candies and fruit confections.
11. Describe storage options for cookies, candies, and confections.
12. Analyze and evaluate finished products.
13. Cost out products for sale.
I. Safe and Hygienic Food Handling
1. fats, eggs
B. Effects on final product
D. Quantity production methods
1. packaging baked cookies
2. storing batters
III. Candies and Confections
A. Ingredients in candies
B. Cooking of sugar
2. using a candy thermometer
3. identifying problems
C. Preparing Candies
D. Preparing fruit confections
1. candied fruit
2. candied citrus peels
3. jellied sauces
F. Using chocolate as a confection
2. molded chocolate
1. packaging candies
2. packaging chocolates
IV. Product Evaluation
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
5 - 10%
|Field trip notes.||
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
15 - 20%
|Cost out products.||
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
30 - 60%
|Class performances, Performance exams||
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
15 - 35%
|Multiple choice, True/false, Matching items, Completion, Short answer.||
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
5 - 10%
Instructor prepared materials.