Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Create and format lines, shapes and images using FreeHand's tools and
2. Create design projects for print and the web using spot color, 4-color
process, and web color using FreeHand's features.
3. Evaluate and modify images and fine tune typesetting using Freehand
4. Create working files for service bureau output.
Systematic exploration of the FreeHand program as it relates to the
graphic design field.
1. Overview of FreeHand's tool and palettes. Customizing preferences
2. Text blocks, linking blocks, inset text and borders, editing text.
3. Type refinements: kerning, tracking and hyphenation, character and
paragraph formatting, tabs, find and change, spell check.
4. Type on a path, converting type to paths, special text effects.
5. Style sheets: text and graphic.
6. Strokes and fills.
7. Drawing Bezier curves, lines and shapes.
8. Converting points, manipulating Bezier curves.
9. Move and transform features.
10. Using the Layers palette: organizing an illustration.
11. Importing graphics: scanning, compatible graphics formats.
12. Manipulating imported graphics: contrast, color, managing linked
13. Combining text and graphics, paste inside, text wrap.
14. Path operations, composite paths, masking, Xtras.
15. Blending: colors, shapes, paths, live blends.
16. Creating Tiled fills.
17. Multiple page documents.
18. Overview of color: applying color, color systems, matching systems.
19. Web illustrations: working with the RGB color system and the web
20. Using spot color in documents.
21. Creating process color documents.
23. Color separations: creating and proofing.
24. Exporting files for use in layout programs.
25. Printing composites: black and white, color; tiling oversize work.
26. Preflighting files for service bureau output.
Projects: (3-4 weeks each)
1. Shape and Image Notebook (semester long, checked every 4 weeks)
2. Logo design
3. Product label
4. 4-color Poster
5. Illustrated series of playing cards
Projects: (2-3 weeks each)
1. Business system: logo design, business card, letterhead
2. Newspaper advertisement
3. 4-color illustrated full page advertisement
4. Spot color brochure
5. Billboard group project
6. Web icons and web page design
Assignments (1 week each)
3. Optical Art design
4. Cartoon character
5. Designer sunglasses
6. Letter poem
7. Newsletter redesign
8. Comp an existing logo
9. Commercial spot illustration
10. Trapping Exercise
"Real World FreeHand 8", 5th ed. Olav Martin Kvern, Peachpit 1999