The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
A student completing the Spanish major will have a solid background in reading, writing, speaking and comprehending Spanish and will have developed both an understanding and appreciation of Hispanic cultures. The student will be prepared for upper division coursework in Spanish at a four-year university or, should he/she pursue other fields of study, will have achieved a level of competence in Spanish that will both enhance job performance and increase marketability in professions where knowledge of Spanish is either necessary or advantageous.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Converse in Spanish with native speakers of Spanish on a full range of topics, including but not limited to, personal and family lives, school or work related topics, current events, historical, political and cultural perspectives with effective use of grammar and comprehensible pronunciation;
- Demonstrate an understanding of authentic texts in Spanish on a wide range of topics, including but not limited to, newspaper and magazine articles, short stories, letters, poems, essays by identifying and explaining the key points and themes both orally and in writing;
- Write cogent essays or term papers in grammatically correct Spanish formulating and developing ideas on a full range of topics, including but not limited to, history, culture, literary analysis and current events;
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and appreciation of the Spanish & Spanish American experience by examining, identifying and analyzing the values, attitudes and traditions that characterize such experience; and
- Succeed in upper division Spanish coursework at a four-year university and/or function in a professional setting where the use of Spanish is an asset.