The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Office Assistant Skills Certificate prepares the student for employment in a clerical-type position. Students may complete the program in less than two semesters. Most of the courses required of this certificate program will count towards the requirements of higher level certificate programs in this department.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
A unique aspect of this program is the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, problem-solving, and systems development. Students not only receive the technical training they need to qualify for clerical employment in an office, but also receive training in the soft skills that are highly sought after by business and industry.
Numerous clerical office positions are available in every occupational field. The titles for the positions will vary. Students should compare the skills sets obtained in the courses with the job descriptions. Students desiring more advanced skills may pursue the Administrative Assistant Certificate of Achievement. Students completing the Office Assistant Skills Certificate will have fulfilled a portion of the Administrative Assistant Certificate of Achievement.
- Use a word processing program to complete business documents and projects;
- apply correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling in business documents and correspondence;
- use critical thinking, problem solving, interpersonal, and collaborative skills to complete work independently or in a team in an ethical and professional manner;
- use integrated math computational skills to solve a variety of business applications such as inventory, payroll, calculating interest, and budget monitoring; and
- complete office tasks such as filing, providing customer service, using telephone techniques, and entering data in software programs.