The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
The program is on hiatus until further notice, please check back in Fall 2021.
The Healthcare Interpreter Certificate of Achievement prepares students who are bilingual (proficient in English and a second language) to work in a variety of healthcare settings facilitating communication between clients and healthcare providers. Students will follow standards of practice for different modes of interpreting, strengthen their medical bilingual language proficiency, cultural competency, and knowledge of California healthcare systems to assist limited-English proficient (LEP) clients to receive optimal medical care. Students may be exposed to people who are injured, chronically or acutely ill, and experiencing other major life events.
- Facilitate linguistic and cultural communication between patients (clients) with limited English proficiency (LEP) and healthcare providers in a variety of health service areas.
- Discuss and implement ethical standards of practice.
- Demonstrate bilingual medical language proficiency.
- Employ various technical aspects of interpreting to improve effectiveness.
- Utilize healthcare interpreter roles and skills in different modes of interpretation.