The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
The Wastewater Treatment Operations Certificate of Achievement provides instructional training necessary for entry level positions in the operation of wastewater treatment facilities and wastewater collection systems as well as assistance in developing the knowledge to pass the required examinations administered by the California Department of Health Services.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
This program of study is also available as an Associate degree major option.
- Read and interpret meters and gauges that monitor the purification process and operation;
- Apply data to formulas that determine treatment requirements, flow levels, and concentration levels;
- Collect water samples, operate chemical-feeding devices, and perform laboratory tests;
- Use information to control pumps, valves, and generators that move wastewater through treatment processes and dispose of the waste materials;
- Use computers to monitor and regulate processes and equipment and to generate reports; and
- Apply to take the Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Examination Grade II.