The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
The Business: Real Estate Certificate of Achievement offers those interested in the field of real estate the opportunity to complete the necessary education requirements as defined by the California Department of Real Estate. The series of courses satisfies the educational requirements for obtaining and maintaining the State Real Estate Broker and Salesperson Licenses.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
An internship is also available to qualified students, which offers a "hands on" look at the real estate office while providing college units through Work Experience.
The growth-rate for this occupation is projected to be on a par with all other occupations. Job prospects for agents are expected to improve through increased residential sales and income-investment properties, especially apartment houses, single to four-unit dwellings, and commercial buildings.
Real Estate Agents are usually paid on a straight commission basis determined by agreement between the broker and the agent. Earnings will vary widely among agents because of the geographic area in which they work and the amount of time and energy put into the job.
- Apply an in-depth knowledge of California Real estate principles and laws to successfully complete licensure requirements for licensee and broker;
- Satisfy Department of Real Estate and Office of Real Estate Appraisers educational requirements for state licensing;
- Apply necessary skills required for marketing and negotiating real estate transaction;
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and ethically with the principals involved in a real property transaction; and
- Interpret and apply California real estate laws to a variety of real property transactions.