Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Theatre Arts Major is designed for students who are pursuing transfer majors in Theatre Arts. It provides a basic foundation in theatre history and
literature, "hands on experience" in several theatre arts disciplines including Acting, Stagecraft and Costuming, and cultural and historical background
necessary to understanding Theatre Arts. The major may be of interest to those seeking a foundation in related disciplines, such as television, film, and
other media. The major may also be of interest to those seeking a foundation for lifelong learning as well.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop self-awareness and confidence through creative expression;
- collaborate and effectively communicate in a theatre setting;
- demonstrate an understanding of time management, commitment, follow-through, and
responsibility to achieve a common goal in a theatre setting;
- creatively analyze, critique, and interpret works of theatrical art;
- identify, summarize, compare and contrast the principal movements in World theatre
history and literature;
- serve in a production position to gain understanding of the collaborative and
complex nature of a live performance;
- demonstrate an understanding of and empathy for the racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity
of U.S. and World theatre; and
- utilize current theatrical technology.
Recommended Sequence of Classes
Students interested in the order for taking classes in this major, can view the recommended course sequence.
The requirements for the Theatre Arts (AA) program are:
Complete 19 units from
- Theatre Arts Major Requirements
- Information Learning Resources Requirement
|Theatre Arts Major Requirements - complete 18.00 units|
|THAR 1||World Theatre Through Time||3.00|
|THAR 6||Multicultural Perspectives in American Theatre||3.00|
|THAR 10A||Introduction to Techniques of Acting||3.00|
|THAR 20||Introduction to Stagecraft||3.00|
|THAR 25.2||Production Lab: Running Crew||1.50-3.00|
|THAR 21||Introduction to Costume Technology||3.00|
|THAR 25.1||Production Lab: Costume Crew||1.50-3.00|
|Information Learning Resources Requirement - complete 1.00 units|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 1.00 units from the following:|
|LIR 10||Introduction to Information Literacy||1.00|
|LIR 30||Introduction to Information Literacy for Research Projects||1.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
It is important that students who are completing an Associate Degree and desire to transfer to a four-year institution meet with a counselor to plan their lower division coursework. While many majors at SRJC are intended to align with lower division major preparation required by California public universities, specific lower-division major requirements vary among individual campuses. See a counselor, visit the Transfer Center, and check Guides For Transfer in Specific Majors, and ASSIST to review transfer preparation guides for specific schools and majors.
1. All students enrolled in the major program will be assigned a faculty advisor who will meet with them regularly to monitor progress.
2. The type of position and number of productions a student will work on during a semester determines the number of units to be taken for THAR 25.1 and THAR