Printer Friendly Version
|Pre-Allied Health (AS)
Total Units: 24
Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Pre-Allied Health major (formerly Physiology major) is designed for students intending to transfer to allied health disciplines, such as Nursing, Dental Hygiene, and Physical Therapy Assistant, etc., at two or four-year institutions. (Please consult a counselor.)
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between structure and function by predicting the function of unfamiliar structures based on knowledge of previously studied cells, tissues, and organs;
- use skills acquired in the human anatomy course to learn new body structures;
- work safely in a lab or clinical setting with microorganisms;
- explain pharmaceutical drug actions based on knowledge of physiological mechanisms;
- apply knowledge of anatomy, microbiology, physiology to more advanced courses required in allied health majors; and
- apply knowledge of anatomy, microbiology or physiology in the clinical practice of nursing or dental hygiene.
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.
The requirements for the Pre-Allied Health (AS) program are:
Complete 24 units from
- Pre-Allied Health Major Requirements
- Information Learning Resources Requirement
|Pre-Allied Health Major Requirements - complete 23.00 units|
|ANAT 1||General Human Anatomy||5.00|
|BIO 10||Introduction to Principles of Biology||4.00|
|CHEM 60||Chemistry for the Allied Health Sciences||5.00|
|PHYSIO 1||Human Physiology||5.00|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 4.00 units from the following:|
|MICRO 5||General Microbiology||5.00|
|MICRO 60||Fundamentals of Microbiology||4.00|
|Information Learning Resources Requirement - complete 1.00 units|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 1.00 units from the following:|
|LIR 10||Introduction to Information Literacy||1.00|
|LIR 30||Introduction to Information Literacy for Research Projects||1.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Physiology - effective Fall 2003
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
Course Prerequisites and Advisories:
Courses in a program of study may have prerequisites or advisories;
that is, courses that must or should be completed before taking that course.
Please check for prerequisites or advisories by clicking on the course numbers
in the Program Requirements section.