Printer Friendly Version
|Journalism: Digital Certificate
Total Units: 23
Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Journalism: Digital Certificate of Achievement provides students with an introduction to and skills in digital journalism and provides hands-on preparation for entry-level work in web journalism and/or an overlay of digital skills for recent journalism graduates and seasoned print journalists.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Develop, create, report, research and produce technically well-executed news and feature stories for the web and/or broadcast news using combinations of text, images, audio, video and social media.
- Use new website, audio and video software systems to produce multimedia stories.
- Write news and feature stories on print and web deadlines using foundational journalism skills such as developing story ideas, conducting research, interviewing sources, and applying proper grammar and Associated Press Style.
- Exercise news judgment and apply knowledge of online journalism ethical, legal and content issues to real-life situations.
- Analyze and evaluate multimedia stories for content, aesthetics and technical quality.
The requirements for the Journalism: Digital Certificate program are:
Complete 23 units from
- Journalism: Digital Core Requirements
- Journalism: Digital Elective Requirement
|Journalism: Digital Core Requirements - complete 14.00 units|
|CS 74.11||Introduction to Digital Media||3.00|
|JOUR 1||Introduction to Journalism||3.00|
|JOUR 52A||Newspaper Practice 1||5.00|
|JOUR 55||Multimedia Reporting||3.00|
|Journalism: Digital Elective Requirement - complete 9.00 units|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 9.00 units from the following:|
|ART 82||Beginning Digital Photography||3.00|
|CS 50A||Web Development 1||3.00|
|CS 50.32||Web and Digital Media Projects||4.00|
|CS 57.11||Introduction to Social Media||3.00|
|CS 70.11A||Adobe Photoshop 1||3.00|
|CS 71.11||Adobe Illustrator 1||3.00|
|CS 72.11A||Adobe InDesign 1||3.00|
|CS 74.21A||Digital Video Post Production Techniques 1||1.50|
|CS 74.21B||Digital Video Post-Production Techniques 2||1.50|
|JOUR 52B||Newspaper Practice 2||5.00|
|MEDIA 20||Introduction to Digital Filmmaking||4.00|
|MEDIA 21||Intermediate Digital Filmmaking||4.00|
|MUSC 51A||Digital Audio 1: Fundamentals||3.00|
|MUSC 51B||Digital Audio 2: Multimedia||3.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Course Prerequisites and Advisories:
Courses in a program of study may have prerequisites or advisories;
that is, courses that must or should be completed before taking that course.
Please check for prerequisites or advisories by clicking on the course numbers
in the Program Requirements section.