Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
The Fashion Studies: Fashion Design Assistant Certificate of Achievement is designed for students interested in careers in the fashion design field as deign assistants, pattern makers with large or small garment producers, or as a fashion entrepreneur who designs their own product. Students will learn about textiles and their manufacture, elements and principles of design as it relates to fashion and the figure, basic principles of fashion design and illustration. Students will develop patterns for original designs or from designer working sketches, execute those designs in fabric, and market the finished product.
This program will prepare students for a variety of occupations including: Production Manager's Assistant, Sample Room Coordinator, Production Pattern Maker, First Pattern Maker, Sample Maker, Sample Cutter, Fabric and Trim Buyer, Textile Design Assistant, Production Specification Illustrator, Assistant Designer/Seamstress, Shipping Clerk Specialist, Marker-Maker-Manual or Computer, Manufacturer's Merchandiser.
- Design garments, using both flat pattern and draping methods, draft patterns from sketch, and select appropriate fabric and trims.
- Assemble a sample garment by cutting pattern pieces, and collecting appropriate findings according to specifications.
- Research and identify the cyclical fashion trends.
- Analyze garment features to interpret fit, line and design, color for individual figures.
- Analyze fashion styles and designs appropriate for knitted fabrics and incorporate construction techniques specifically used with knits.
- Prepare a business plan for a start-up fashion retail company.
- Use critical thinking skills to analyze fashion design methods and applications.
The requirements for the Fashion Studies: Fashion Design Assistant Certificate program are:
Complete 20 units from
- Fashion Studies: Fashion Design Assistant Requirements
|Fashion Studies: Fashion Design Assistant Requirements - complete 20.00 units|
|FASH 8||Introductory Textiles||3.00|
|FASH 53||Fashion Analysis||3.00|
|FASH 56||Fashion Design and Illustration||3.00|
|FASH 60||Draped Design||2.00|
|FASH 62A||Flat Pattern Design 1||2.00|
|FASH 70A||Clothing Construction 1||1.50|
|FASH 70B||Clothing Construction 2||1.50|
|FASH 121A||Sewing with Knits: Basic Tee Shirts||0.50|
|FASH 121B||Advanced Sewing with Knits||0.50|
|FASH 139||Fashion Entrepreneurship||3.00|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
It is important that students who are completing an Associate Degree and desire to transfer to a four-year institution meet with a counselor to plan their lower division coursework. While many majors at SRJC are intended to align with lower division major preparation required by California public universities, specific lower-division major requirements vary among individual campuses. See a counselor, visit the Transfer Center, and check Guides For Transfer in Specific Majors, and ASSIST to review transfer preparation guides for specific schools and majors.
No course may be used more than once to fulfill a requirement in the certificate.
Certificate will be awarded upon fulfillment of all course requirements with a grade of 'C' or better.