This program is currently inactive. Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Business: Bookkeeper Assistant Certificate of Achievement prepares the student to become an assistant in recording financial data in various phases of accounting operations, with emphasis on the use of various computer software programs. The curriculum includes beginning and intermediate bookkeeping and accounting concepts, and advanced spreadsheet skills.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
Students desiring more advanced skills may wish to pursue the Bookkeeper Certificate of Achievement. Completion of the Bookkeeper Assistant Certificate fulfills a portion of the Bookkeeper Certificate.
Bookkeeping is the day-to-day recording of business activity which involves financial changes in the organization. The occupation involves such tasks as recording daily transactions in journals, posting figures into ledgers, preparing spreadsheets, handling payments and receipts, and computing payrolls. Bookkeeping requires skill in the operation of 10-key calculators, computers, and other office equipment, together with an understanding of office routine and techniques.
Possible job titles are Assistant Bookkeeper, Account Clerk, and Auditing Clerk.
Employers generally report that it is moderately difficult to find inexperienced but qualified applicants and very difficult to find qualified applicants with prior experience. This indicates a good outlook for job seekers without prior experience and a very good outlook for those who are fully experienced.
- Analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report a variety of financial information and commonly used financial statements and related reports,
using generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP);
- analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report basic payroll information including payment of wages along with associated payroll taxes and
- calculate, analyze, and interpret a variety of mathematical business problems, ratios, comparisons, elementary statistics, and trends;
- demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills to report financial information and job seeking skills;
- use a computer to tabulate, calculate, record, organize and report financial information; and
- Effectively use computer keyboard, 10-Key, and other modern devices to calculate, tabulate, and assist in reporting and recording of financial
The requirements for the Business: Bookkeeper Assistant Certificate program are:
Complete 22.5 units from
- Bookkeeper Assistant Requirements
|Bookkeeper Assistant Requirements - complete 22.50 units|
|BBK 50||Computerized Bookkeeping and Accounting 1||3.00|
|BBK 51||Computerized Bookkeeping and Accounting 2||3.00|
|BBK 53.1||QuickBooks Level 1||1.50|
|BBK 53.2||QuickBooks Level 2||1.50|
|BGN 71||Business English Grammar||3.00|
|BGN 81||Practical Business Math Skills||3.00|
|BGN 110||Exploring Business Careers||1.00|
|BGN 203||10-Key Skills||0.50|
|BGN 205||Basic Filing||0.50|
|CS 60.11A||Microsoft Word, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 61.11A||Microsoft Excel, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 61.11B||Microsoft Excel, Part 2||1.50|
|CS 167.11||Microsoft Outlook||0.50|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 0.50 units from the following:|
|BGN 201||Basic Keyboarding||0.50|
|BGN 102||Typing-Skill Building||1.50|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.