Catalog rights may apply, see a counselor for more information.
The Bookkeeper Certificate of Achievement prepares the student as an entry-level bookkeeper working with the accountant in summarizing financial data and preparing financial statements. Students are trained to be members of an organization's team with the ability to exercise initiative and judgment, train co-workers, use technology, and assume responsibility without direct supervision.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
The Bookkeeper program includes an internship which provides the students an opportunity to use their acquired skills in an office environment and gain experience in their profession before completing the program.
This certificate is the more advanced level of the Bookkeeping program. Completion of the Bookkeeper Assistant Certificate fulfills a portion of the Bookkeeper Certificate.
Bookkeeping is the day-to-day recording of business activity which involves financial changes in the organization. The occupation involves such tasks as recording daily transactions in journals, posting figures into ledgers, handling payments and receipts, and computing payrolls. Bookkeeping requires skill in the operation of 10-key calculators, computers, and other office equipment, together with an understanding of office routine and techniques. The program encompasses the integration of 21st Century workforce skills emphasizing communication, teamwork, project management, and problem-solving.
Employers generally report that it is moderately difficult to find inexperienced but qualified applicants, and very difficult to find qualified applicants with prior experience. This indicates a good outlook for job seekers without prior experience and a very good outlook for those who are fully experienced.
- Analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report detailed financial information and commonly used financial statements and related reports, using generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP);
- analyze, categorize, calculate, record and report detailed payroll information including payment of wages along with associated payroll taxes and other liabilities;
- calculate, analyze and interpret a variety of mathematical business problems, ratios, comparisons, elementary statistics, and trends;
- demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills to report financial information and job seeking skills;
- use a computer to tabulate, calculate, record, organize and report financial information; and
- effectively use a computer keyboard, 10-key, and other modern devices to calculate, tabulate and assist in reporting and recording of financial information.
The requirements for the Bookkeeper Certificate program are:
|Bookkeeper Requirements - complete 36.50 units|
|BBK 50||Computerized Bookkeeping and Accounting I||3.00|
|BBK 51||Computerized Bookkeeping and Accounting 2||3.00|
|BBK 52.1||Payroll Record Keeping and Reporting||3.00|
|BBK 53.1||QuickBooks Level 1||1.50|
|BBK 53.2||QuickBooks Level 2||1.50|
|BGN 71||Business English Grammar||3.00|
|BGN 81||Practical Business Math Skills||3.00|
|BGN 203||Self-Paced 10-Key||0.50|
|BGN 204||Electronic Calculator||0.50|
|BGN 110||Exploring Business Careers||1.00|
|BGN 111||Soft Skills for Business||3.00|
|BGN 112||Marketing Your Skills||3.00|
|BGN 205||Basic Filing||0.50|
|BOT 99.2I||Business Office Tech Occupational Work Experience Internship||2.00|
|BOT 154||Office Procedures for the 21st Century||3.00|
|CS 60.11A||Microsoft Word, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 61.11A||Microsoft Excel, Part 1||1.50|
|CS 61.11B||Microsoft Excel, Part 2||1.50|
|Complete any combination totaling at least 0.50 units from the following:|
|BGN 201||Typing Self-Paced||0.50|
|BGN 102||Typing-Skill Building||1.50|
The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.