1. Identify and compare current topics in horticulture such as technology, practices, products, and procedures.
2. Synthesize and evaluate horticultural theories and issues.
3. Incorporate the latest horticultural findings into appropriate nursery and landscape practices.
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Discuss new concepts regarding plant production use and management.
2. Summarize the key concepts underlying the course topic.
3. Evaluate the appropriateness of integrating these advances into nursery production, landscape design and/or landscape management.
I. Examples of current topics in Environmental Horticulture
A. Irrigation technology
B. Edible landscapes
C. Bioswales and drainage
D. Erosion management
E. Pest management products
F. New landscape equipment
G. Integrated Pest Management (IPM) protocol
H. Plan growth regulators
I. Rain Gardens
J. Rooftop Gardens
K. Firesafe landscaping
1. Weekly reading (5-10 pages)
2. Class discussions on industry topics
3. Written homework assignments
4. Term project such as literature review or case study reports demonstrating competence in the course topic
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
25 - 35%
|Written homework assignments||
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
10 - 20%
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
0 - 0%
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
0 - 0%
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
45 - 60%
|Participation in class discussions||
Instructor prepared materials
Trade magazines: Arborist News, Landscape Architecture Magazine, Fremontia, Landscape Contractor National, Landscape management
Scientific journals: Journal of Arboriculture and Urban Forestry, Horticulturae, Journal of Horticultural Science, Horticulture, Journal of Landscape Architecture, Landscape and Urban Planning, Landscape Ecology, International Journal of Plant Sciences, Economic Botany, Ecology and Society, Landscape Journal, Garden History