The students will:
1. Describe the mission of CAL FIRE and the policies and procedures applicable to seasonal firefighters.
2. Demonstrate the correct procedures for radio use and responding to emergency calls.
3. Identify the components of basic fire chemistry and wildland fire behavior.
4. Identify and demonstrate the use of safety equipment used in wildland firefighting.
5. List and describe the orders, situations and practices used to promote safety on the wildland fire ground.
6. Demonstrate the hose lays and loads used in wildland firefighting.
7. Demonstrate the proper use of fuses and drip torches.
8. Describe the proper use of chain saws and flagging tape on the wildland fire ground.
9. Describe the use of aircraft in wildland situations.
10. Identify the apparatus and their safety devices used in wildfire firefighting.
11. List and demonstrate the proper use of hand tools used in wildland firefighting.
12. Describe the tactics and strategies used in wildland firefighting operations.
13. Describe the tactics and strategies used in wildland urban interface (WUI) firefighting operations.
14. Demonstrate the proper techniques for fighting wildland fires.
A. Cal Fire Mission and Organization
B. Policies and regulations
1. Ethics, diversity, sexual harassment
2. Code of conduct
3. Working with inmate fire crews
C. Station Operations
1. Responding to emergency calls
2. Introduction to radio communications
II. Basic Fire Chemistry
A. Fire Triangle
B. Methods of Heat Transfer
III. Wildland Fire Behavior
IV. Safety And Risk Management
A. Wildland Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
B. 18 "Watch Out" Situations
C. Ten Standing Firefighting Orders
D. Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes, Safety Zones (LCES)
E. Common Denominators of Fire Fatalities
F. Fireline Hazards
G. Downhill Fireline Construction
H. Avoiding Entrapment
I. Human Factors in Wildland Fires
J. Situational Awareness
L. Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
M. Fire Shelters
N. Fire Blankets and Curtains
O. Using Vehicles As Refuge
P. Using Structures As Refuge
Q. Burn Treatment of Firefighters
R. Air Tanker Retardant Drop Safety Considerations
S. Rotary Wing Aircraft Safety Considerations
T. Bulldozer Operations Safety Considerations
U. Power Line and Electrical Considerations
V. Three Strikes and You're Out
V. Wildland Firefighting Equipment
A. Fire Hose
1. Sizes and construction
2. Care and maintenance
3. Hose couplings
4. Hose rolls
5. Hose lays
a. Progressive hose lays
b. Reel line use
6. Picking up and draining hose
a. Progressive hose lays
b. Reel line use
B. Tools and Equipment
1. Traffic control devices and signals
2. Road flares (fusees)
a. How to ignite and extinguish fusees
b. Use of fusees as firing tools
3. Drip torch use and maintenance
4. Fireline flagging
5. Chain saw use
C. Firefighting Aircraft
1. Fixed wing aircraft
2. Rotary wing aircraft
D. Mobile Equipment
1. Fire apparatus identification
2. Warning devices
3. Chock blocks and seatbelts
4. Backing hand signals
5. Safety vests
E. Hand Tools
1. Brush hook
3. Double bit, single bit and pick-headed axes
4. Round and square point shovels
6. Wire broom
7. Rhino tool
8. Combi tool
VI. Wildland Firefighting Principles
A. Wildland Firefighting Terminology
B. Parts of a Wildland Fire
C. Wildland Firefighting Strategies
D. Wildland Fire Uses of Water
E. Wildland Hose Lay
F. Mobile Attack
G. Mop-up and Control
H. Handline Construction
VII. Wildland Fire Operations
VIII. Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) Operations
Cal Fire Wildland Firefighter Academy Manual, Publ. Cal Fire, 2003 (classic)
Cal Fire Wildland Firefighter Safety & Survival manual, Publ. Cal Fire,2010
S-130, Firefighting Training Manual, Publ. National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG), 2003 (classic)
S-131, Type I Firefighting Training Manual, Publ. NWCG, 2004(classic)
S-190, Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior, Publ. NWCG, 2006 (classic)
L-180, Potential Hazards and Human Factors on the Fireline, Publ. NWCG, 2003 (classic)
Essentials of Firefighting, 5th edition, Publ. International Fire Service Training Association (IFSTA), 2008 (classic)