The students will:
1. Prepare four 4-course meals including appetizer or first course,
soup or salad, main and dessert.
2. Prepare fish, poultry, meats, vegetables, starches, dairy products,
3. Identify and use a combination of Oriental and Western spices,
herbs, and other seasonings.
4. Place emphasis on the presentation of each dish.
5. Practice a variety of cooking techniques: steaming, smoking, grilling,
6. Garnish each dish creatively and appropriately.
7. Plan a Pacific Rim menu.
8. Transform traditional Oriental technique and adapt to Western style
9. Evaluate new combinations of flavors and textures in menu items.
10. Recognize unusual ingredients indigenous to Pacific Rim cuisine
such as taro, 5-star anise, seaweed, star fruit, fermented black
11. Differentiate between Orietanl cooking and Pacific Rim cooking.
In this Pacific Rim class, the student will incorporate traditional
Oriental ingredients and techniques with current Western style. They
will prepare balanced meals with a focus on taste and presentation.
Lectures will emphasize the difference between Eastern and Western cuisine
and the integration of both.
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
0 - 0%
|This is a degree applicable course but assessment tools based on writing are not included because problem solving assessments and skill demonstrations are more appropriate for this course.
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
10 - 15%
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
55 - 75%
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
5 - 15%
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
5 - 15%
|THE STUDENT PREPARES A DISH AND ALSO PARTICIPATES IN THE EVALUATION OF SEVERAL DISHES.||