The students will:
1. Fabricate a variety of types of fish and shellfish using
proper tools and techniques.
2. Use sanitation techniques to prepare fish and shellfish dishes
3. Identify and use proper cooking techniques to prepare a variety of
4. Prepare sauces to accompany fish and shellfish dishes.
5. Prepare a variety of vegetable and starch side dishes.
6. Practice presentation techniques.
1. Through lecture and demonstration, the student will be instructed in
the proper handling, fabricating, and cooking techniques for a
variety of fish and shellfish items.
2. Recipes will be presented, discussed, and prepared.
3. Topics will include:
a. characteristics of fish and shellfish including salmon,
rockfish, prawns, and mussels
b. climatic and geographical conditions that affect the quality
and availability of fish and shellfish
c. methods used to evaluate quality of fish and shellfish
d. proper use of knives
e. proper ways to fabricate fish and shellfish
f. moist heat techniques
g. dry heat techniques
h. combination cooking techniques
i. choosing the correct sauce to accompany particular types of
fish and shellfish
j. choosing the correct side dishes to accompany particular
types of fish and shellfish
k. methods used to evaluate the quality of the finished product
4. Presentation techniques will be utilized.
5. Students will taste and critique all recipes prepared.
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
0 - 0%
|This is a degree applicable course but assessment tools based on writing are not included because problem solving assessments and skill demonstrations are more appropriate for this course.
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
10 - 25%
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
60 - 80%
|Class performances, Preparation and evaluation of cooked recipes.||
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
0 - 0%
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
10 - 25%
Instructor prepared recipes and handouts.