At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Apply safety standards and practices in an auto shop environment.
2. State the theory behind the operation of all of the basic systems on an automobile.
3. Describe and identify the components used in those systems.
4. Demonstrate a working knowledge of the basic operation of all major automobile systems.
5. Describe the environmental issues involved with automotive repair and apply appropriate
procedures concerning disposal of hazardous material from the automobile when
repairing or disposing of the vehicle.
6. Identify and properly use and care for tools and equipment.
7. Identify metric and standard tool sizes and purposes
8. Discuss the automotive industry and identify related employment opportunities.
I. Automotive Background and Overview
A. Careers in the Automotive Service Industry
B. Starting a Career in the Automotive Industry
C. Working as a Professional Service Technician
D. Technician Certification
II. Shop Fundamentals
A. Shop Safety
B. Environmental and Hazardous Materials
C. Fasteners and Thread Repair
D. Hand Tools
E. Power Tools and Shop Equipment
F. Measuring Systems and Tools - English and Metric
G. Service Information
III. Engine Fundamentals
A. Vehicle Identification and Emission Ratings
B. Gasoline Engine Operation
C. Diesel Engine Operation
D. Engine Lubrication and Cooling Systems
E. Under-Hood Inspection
F. Vehicle Lifting and Hoisting
G. Lube-Oil and Filter Service
IV. Electrical Fundamentals
A. Electrical Circuits
B. Circuit Testers and Digital Meters
C. Starting and Charging Systems
V. Electronic Accessories
A. Dash Warning Lights and Driver Information Systems
B. Lighting Systems
C. Safety Belts and Airbag Systems
D. Heating and Air Conditioning Systems
VI. Electronics, Performance and Emissions
A. Gasoline and Alternative Fuels
B. Computers and Sensors
C. Ignition System
D. Fuel-Injection Systems
E. Emission Control Devices
F. Hybrid Electric Vehicles
G. Scan Tools and Diagnostic Procedures
VII. Brakes and Inspection
A. Tires and Wheels
B. Brakes and Antilock Braking Systems
C. Suspension and Steering Systems
VIII. Drive Line
A. Manual Transmissions/Transaxles
B. Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles
All topics are covered in the lecture and lab portions of the course.
Fundamentals of Automotive Technology. 2nd ed. VanGelder, Kirk. Jones and Bartlett. 2018