Presentation of the basic indexing rules for names of individuals, business names, other organizations, and special names. Specific exercises applying the indexing rules to alphabetic, subject, geographic, and numerical filing systems using office supplies.
The students will:
1. Name the two basic methods used for filing.
2. Define the terms filing and records management.
3. Define the terms alphabetizing, indexing, caption, and unit.
4. Type or write names of individuals in indexing order on cards.
5. Prepare alphabetic cross-reference cards containing names of
individuals, and arrange them in sequence with alphabetic cards.
6. List and describe the steps in the filing process.
7. List and describe the steps for storing correspondence in an
alphabetic, subject, geopgraphic, and numerical system.
8. List the advantages and disadvantages of the alphabetic, subject,
geographic, and numerical filing systems.
9. Describe important physical characteristics of the file drawer.
10. Name filing accessories that are necessary or helpful to the
Life cycle of a business record.
1. Filing supplies and equipment.
2. Indexing rules.
3. Alphabetic filing system.
4. Subject filing system.
5. Geographic filing system.
6. Numeric filing system.
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
0 - 0%
|This is a degree applicable course but assessment tools based on writing are not included because problem solving assessments and skill demonstrations are more appropriate for this course.
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
20 - 50%
|Homework problems, Quizzes, Exams||
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
5 - 20%
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
20 - 50%
|Multiple choice, True/false, Matching items, Completion||
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
5 - 25%
GREGG QUICK FILING PRACITCE, 3rd ed., Jeffrey Stewart, McGraw-Hill