Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Set up and perform a number of physics experiments using balances, calipers, and thermometers, as well as computers with motion detectors, force probes, temperature probes and microphones.
2. Use Excel spreadsheets to record data and calculate experimental results, and use computer graphing programs to construct graphs and analyze these data.
3. Apply concepts of linear motion, simple harmonic motion, force, impulse and momentum, using motion detectors and force probes.
4. Verify basic physics principles such as Newton's second and third laws of motion and conservation of momentum and energy.
5. Use the principle of conservation of energy to determine moments of inertia.
6. Measure the velocity of standing waves in strings and sound in resonating air columns.
7. Determine the coefficient of linear expansion for metal rods.
8. Measure the specific heat of metals.
9. Write formal lab reports.
2. Data analysis, calculations and graphing, using Excel spreadsheets
3. Motion in one dimension including uniformly accelerated motion
4. Projectile motion
5. Impulse, momentum and conservation of momentum
6. Torque and levers
7. Moment of inertia
8. Simple harmonic motion
9. Sound waves
10. Standing waves in strings and air columns
11. Coefficient of linear expansion
12. Specific heat
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
60 - 90%
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
0 - 0%
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
0 - 0%
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
10 - 40%
|Quizzes, and final exam||
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
0 - 0%
Instructor prepared lab manual