Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Describe the values, themes, methods, and history of the horticultural
2. Identify landscape industry occupations and their employment
3. Categorize the proper planting techniques for a variety of plants.
4. Prepare landscape documents using common landscape drafting techniques,
including lettering and symbolization.
5. Evaluate nursery industry occupations and their employment
6. Evaluate common nursery classifications and their functions.
7. Explain differences between field and container growth and production
8. Evaluate horticulture industry occupations and their employment
9. Describe the common growing structures, greenhouse types, and glazings
10.Describe the basic parts of a greenhouse.
11.Construct a basic floral design.
12.Explain the cut flower conditioning process.
13.Evaluate other green industry occupations and their employment
requirements (may include turf, arboriculture, horticultural therapy,
14.Compile a survey of professional horticulture (greens) industry
I. Orientation to the values, themes, methods, and history of the
II. Landscape careers
III. Nursery careers
IV. Floriculture careers
B. Floral design
V. Other (may include):
C. Horticultural therapy
E. Extension service
VI. Field and container growth and production systems
VII. Common growing structures
VIII. Cut flower conditioning process
IX. Professional organizations
|Writing: Assessment tools that demonstrate writing skill and/or require students to select, organize and explain ideas in writing.||Writing
10 - 30%
|Written homework, Essay exams||
|Problem solving: Assessment tools, other than exams, that demonstrate competence in computational or non-computational problem solving skills.||Problem Solving
10 - 20%
|Homework problems, Exams||
|Skill Demonstrations: All skill-based and physical demonstrations used for assessment purposes including skill performance exams.||Skill Demonstrations
5 - 10%
|Class performances, Performance exams||
|Exams: All forms of formal testing, other than skill performance exams.||Exams
40 - 60%
|Multiple choice, True/false, Matching items, Completion||
|Other: Includes any assessment tools that do not logically fit into the above categories.||Other Category
0 - 0%
Ornamental Horticulture: Science, Operations & Management. DelMar 2001.
Instructor prepared materials.