The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Digital Journalism Certificate provides students with an introduction to and skills in digital journalism and provides hands-on preparation for entry-level work in web journalism and/or an overlay of digital skills for recent journalism graduates and seasoned print journalists.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the certificate/major, students will be able to:
Recommended Sequence of Courses
- Develop, create, report, research and produce technically well-executed news and feature stories for the web and/or broadcast news using combinations of text, images, audio, video and social media.
- Use new website, audio and video software systems to produce multimedia stories.
- Write news and feature stories on print and web deadlines using foundational journalism skills such as developing story ideas, conducting research, interviewing sources, and applying proper grammar and Associated Press Style.
- Exercise news judgment and apply knowledge of online journalism ethical, legal and content issues to real-life situations.
- Analyze and evaluate multimedia stories for content, aesthetics and technical quality.
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program should contact the department.