The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
This program is scheduled to be inactivated effective for fall 2018 and a new program is under development to take its place. Please consult a counselor or program coordinator for more information.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
See the state issued Transfer Model Curriculum (TMC) template for any futher clarification regarding program requirements.
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for transfer degree is designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses. Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.
Students will have to fulfill the following requirements to earn this degree.
(1) Complete 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The Inter-segmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth requirements; and
(B) A minimum of 53.5-54.5 semester units as required for the Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer major.
(2) Obtain an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0
(3) Earn a grade of C or better in all courses required for the Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer major.
- Demonstrate college-level skills in written English, oral communications, math, and critical thinking;
- demonstrate a basic grasp of the disciplines most commonly taught in elementary schools in California, including physical science, biology, art, literature in a cultural or geographic context, world geography, United States history, and United States government; and
- demonstrate a basic grasp of child growth and development.
It is important that students who are completing an Associate Degree and desire to transfer to a four-year institution meet with a counselor to plan their lower division coursework. While many majors at SRJC are intended to align with lower division major preparation required by California public universities, specific lower-division major requirements vary among individual campuses. See a counselor, visit the Transfer Center, and check Guides For Transfer in Specific Majors, and ASSIST to review transfer preparation guides for specific schools and majors.
NOTE about List B Requirement: Students need to be aware that if they choose to take ART 2.2 under the List B Elective choices they must also complete ART 2.3 to fulfill the List B Requirement.