The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
The Music major provides students with the opportunity to earn an Associate in Arts in Music while meeting the typical lower division requirements for a bachelor’s degree in Music at a four-year institution. The major is also designed to prepare students for careers in music performance, composition, publishing, education, and other specializations in the music industry.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
- (through music theory) demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic structure of music;
- (through musicianship) demonstrate fluency with the language of music in written and aural form;
- (through applied music) perform on their instrument (or voice) at college sophomore level;
- (through their major performing ensemble) perform effectively in a musical ensemble;
- (through piano proficiency) utilize the piano keyboard to demonstrate and apply musical concepts; and
- (through music history) demonstrate a broad-based understanding of the historical and aesthetic development of music.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Students interested in a suggested order for taking classes in this program, please view the recommended course sequence.
It is important that students who are completing an Associate Degree and desire to transfer to a four-year institution meet with a counselor to plan their lower division coursework. While many majors at SRJC are intended to align with lower division major preparation required by California public universities, specific lower-division major requirements vary among individual campuses. See a counselor, visit the Transfer Center, and check Guides For Transfer in Specific Majors, and ASSIST to review transfer preparation guides for specific schools and majors.
Students should have prior experience performing on an instrument or voice, and be able to read music. Students who lack these basic skills are advised to take one or more of the following:
- MUSC 1 Music Fundamentals
- MUSCP 17A Elementary Voice
IMPORTANT: For the Music: Vocal Concentration Requirement, students must successfully complete MUSC 18 four times for a total of 8.0 units.