The requirements for this program of study are effective beginning the semester shown above. If you began working on this program before the effective semester, you may not be affected by the changes. Consult with the program contact person or the department chair to determine your eligibility to complete the program under previous requirements.
Associate Degree Requirements:
The major is one of several requirements students need to fulfill in order to be awarded the Associate Degree, the highest level of academic achievement recognized by Santa Rosa Junior College. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met in order for the degree to be conferred:
For all students admitted for the Fall 2009 term or any term thereafter,
a grade of "C" or better, or "P" if the course is taken on a pass/no pass basis,
is required for each course applied toward the major.
This major/certificate is undergoing revisions. Please consult a counselor or program coordinator.
The Interior Design: Commercial major prepares students to work as a full-service interior designer, own his or her own design firm, work for a commercial interior design firm, an architect firm, a development company, or as a space planner or facility manager for a large corporation.
Continuous use of design services in residences and commercial
establishments has increased the demand for qualified interior designers. The job market for the Interior Design Commercial graduate is very encouraging.
For students interested in pursing a Certificate of Achievement, a certificate program is available.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major, the student will be able to:
- Specify materials appropriate to the design, providing for practical and aesthetic needs of the clients;
- demonstrate the ability to incorporate the federal American Disabilities Act (ADA) rules and Universal Design in design projects;
- demonstrate the ability to use a computer aided drafting software program for the development of design projects;
- manage a commercial project from specification to execution, and
- use critical thinking skills to analyze commercial interior design methods and applications.